Each year Black History Month is celebrated in Kirklees but due to the coronavirus outbreak, many of this year’s events will be held virtually. We have produced the attached booklet with details of events organised by community groups and individuals, local organisations and Kirklees Council.
Here are just a few examples of the fantastic events taking place in October.
- Black Inventors, England’s Hidden History and Shakespeare and Race
- Online exhibitions including: ‘No Ordinary Time’ and ‘Welcome to the Motherland’
- ‘Windrush: Untold Stories’ and ‘Huddersfield and the NHS: The Caribbean Connection’
- ‘Hear our Story’ podcast and ‘The Distracted Journey: Poems from a Slave’
- Workshops for the Permanent Black History Mural Wall, surgeries for family tree research and Launch of Windrush Garden at Springwood
- Musical events celebrating Rap and Gospel!
“This year’s theme of Black History Month is ‘Women in Achievement’. From politics to sport, performing arts to science, from fellow councillors to colleagues, we should celebrate the achievements of black females who continue to inspire and excel.“ Cllr Shabir Pandor, Leader of Kirklees Council
for the full details please click here